Division of Student Affairs

Military and Veteran Affairs


Military and Veteran Affairs

Elizabeth City State University has partnered with the Department of Veterans Affairs to serve Veterans and their families by providing a continuum of quality care that adds value for veterans, their families, and their communities.

At Elizabeth City State University, we value our veterans, active duty military and dependent students. As a member of the President's Principles of Excellence Program, our goal is to provide a smooth transition from military to college life for veterans, active duty service members, Reserve or National Guard, military dependents, and survivors and families.

ECSU provides assistance to veterans, active military members, spouses and their dependents. From processing your education benefits to connecting you to the degree program of your dreams and to ease the transition from military service to campus life. We are here to help you on your journey. We provide the support and raise awareness to veterans’ issues among the campus and local communities, while supporting student veterans through graduation and into a rewarding careers.

Military and Veteran Affairs Center

Additional Information

ECSU's Military and Veteran Affairs will:

  • provide support to the veterans, active duty members, spouses and their dependents, Reserve and National Guard members, and ROTC cadets;
  • use the university resources to support the veterans that are attending ECSU;
  • assist student veterans, active duty members, spouses and dependents with securing their educational benefits that are provided by the Veterans Affairs;
  • provide a sense of community through veteran-center events and activities;
  • heighten awareness of veterans issues among the campus community;
  • advocate on issues that are relevant to student veteran on state and federal issues;
  • maintain a rich veteran heritage on the university campus


ECSU Military Affiliated Students have access to the services offered below:

  • Individual readjustment counseling
  • Group counseling
  • Sexual trauma counseling
  • Employment assessment and referral

These services are also offered to active duty service members and their dependents.

All information disclosed in counseling sessions will be held in the strictest confidence.

Chapter 30- Montgomery GI Bill® (Active Duty)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA . More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov /gibill.

Chapter 30 provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after 2 years of active duty. Those who entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, received a high school diploma or equivalent before the end of your first obligated period of service  and received an honorable discharge may also be eligible. The amount awarded is based on the type of training you take, length of service, your category, and if DoD put extra money in your MGIB fund. You have about 10 years to use these benefits. The current full-time rate for those with three or more years of service and enrolled in an institutional program is $1,321 per month.

Click here for more information


Chapter 31- Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

Chapter 31 is a program designed to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. Services generally last up to 48 months and include counseling, education and training, financial aid, assistance, and, if needed, medical treatment. Eligibility is available for those who served on or after September 16, 1940, those with service-connected disabilities are rated at least 20% by the VA, you need Vocational Rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap, and it has been less than 12 years since the VA notified you of your qualified SCD.

Click here for more information


Chapter 33- Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 33 provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for Chapter 33. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits and benefits can be transferred to dependents. Some of the benefits of the Post- 9/11 GI Bill® go towards tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, books and supplies, and a one-time rural benefit payment.

Individuals serving an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001 can receive the following percentages based on length of service:

Active duty service

Maximum Benefit

At least 36 months


At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to
service-connected disability


At least 30 months < 36 months (1)


At least 24 months < 30 months (1)

 80% (3)

At least 18 months < 24 months (2)


At least 12 months < 18 months (2)


At least 6 months < 12 months (2)


At least 90 days < 6 months (2)



(1) Includes service on active duty in entry level and skill training. (2) Excludes service on active duty in entry level and skill training. (3) If the individual would only qualify at the 70% level when service on active duty in entry level and skill training is excluded, then VA can only pay at the 70% level.

Click here for more information


Chapter 35- Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance

Chapter 35 is an education benefit program for eligible spouses and children of veterans who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as a result of service,  and service members missing in action or captured in the line of duty by hostile forces or forcibly detained. Spouses of disabled veterans  have 10 years from the date the VA establishes eligibility; those whose spouses died while on active duty have 20 years. Children may use beneftis between the ages of 18 and 26. Amount awarded is based on the educational program.

Click here for more information



In order to receive your book stipend, you must visit our office to collect a Book Voucher. Distant education students who need to obtain their Book Voucher need to contact our office either by phone or via e-mail. You must set up a direct-deposit with the Department of Veteran Affairs. You can receive an annual book stipend in an amount up to $1000. The amount you receive is based on the number of credit hours you are taking. Active duty and dependents are also eligible for book stipends if they are using military education benefits. 

Scholarships for Military Children 
  • For students whose parent is active, retired or deceased
  • Must have military dependent I.D. and planning to enroll full-time
  • www.militaryscholar.org
North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans


National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
  • Must be a U.S. citizen
  • Attend an accredited college in the U.S.
  • www.dar.org
Fleet Reserve Association Scholarship
  • Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard personnel
  • Student must be full-time
  • Must be U.S. citizen
The Jackie Robinson Foundation
  • $6,000 per year
  • Scholarship is renewable
  • Academic merit, leadership, community service, all fields
  • www.jackierobinson.org
Fry Scholarship
  • The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Find out more information on payment rates.  See our fact sheet which provides more detailed information. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA . More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov /gibill.
  • If you are eligible for both Fry Scholarship and DEA (Dependents Educational Assistance), you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the two programs when you apply. Dependents are not eligible to receive both DEA and the Fry Scholarship based on the same event (like a Servicemember dying in the line of duty) unless he or she is a child whose parent died prior to August 1, 2011. A child of a parent who died prior to August 1, 2011 may still be eligible for both benefits but he/she may only use one program at a time and combined benefits are capped at a total of 81 months of full-time training. In this situation the two benefit programs cannot be used concurrently.  
  • Eligibility 
    • Children and surviving spouses of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible for this benefit. Children are eligible as of their 18th birthday (unless they have already graduated high school). A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible, although their eligibility ends on their 33rd birthday. A spouse will lose eligibility to this benefit upon remarriage. A spouse has 15 years from the date of death of the Servicemember to use the benefit.
  • Other Factors to Consider
    • Surviving spouses are eligible to receive Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) while using the Fry Scholarship. Children, over the age of 18, in receipt of DIC will relinquish DIC payments upon the start of using VA education benefits such as the Fry Scholarship.
  • Apply
    • If you have started your educational program, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA. He or she can submit an Enrollment Certification electronically using VA-ONCE. (Note: Schools must contact their VA representative to receive this form.)
  • To apply, take these steps depending on your situation:
  • Make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. Please visit our GI Bill Comparison Toolfor help in choosing a school.
  • To apply, obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits. Send it to the Regional Processing Office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application. When applying, you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the Fry Scholarship and the Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program to receive benefits. Children of a Servicemember who died in the line of duty prior to August 1, 2011 may be eligible for both DEA and Fry but they cannot be used at the same time.
  • https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/fry-scholarship/
Coast Guard Spouse Education Grants

The Foundation’s Lisa Cook Reed Spouse Education Grants are intended to assist non-military spouses of Enlisted Coast Guard members in ranks E3 - E6 pursuing professional development courses, licensing courses, certificates, certifications, and college and graduate level degrees from a nationally or regionally accredited institution. https://coastguardfoundation.org/scholarships

National Military Family Association
The National Military Family Association’s Military Spouse Scholarship Program
Scholarships ranging from $500 to $2,500 are awarded to spouses pursuing various levels of education or professional advancement.
Application deadline is midnight on Jan. 31

Army Nurse Corps Association

Army Nurse Corps Association’s Scholarship Program
$3,000 to eligible nursing students who are serving or have previously served in any branch of a component of the U.S. Army

Veterans of Foreign Wars
Sport Clips Help a Hero Scholarship
Up to $5,000 scholarship to eligible retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or a member of the national guard or reserve.
  • Applications for the fall semester will be accepted January 1 through April 30.
  • Applications for the spring semester will be accepted August 1 through November 15.


Women’s Overseas Service League
Women’s Overseas Service League Scholarships
Up to $1,000 to eligible women who are committed to advancement in military or other public service careers
Applications must be postmarked no later than March 1 for consideration for the next academic year.


Military Order of the Purple Heart
The MOPH Scholarship Program is a competitive scholarship program that awards approximately eighty (80) scholarships to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year.
Marines Memorial Association
2019-2020 Scholarships For more information on our scholarship program please read our FAQ.
The Veterans United Foundation Scholarship creates opportunities for family members of service members and Veterans to achieve their educational dreams.

Need to hire an outside tutor?

Your GI Bill® can pay up to $100 in tutorial assistance a month for an approved tutor (not to exceed $1,200). To learn more about how this works, check out the VA website. To request this benefit you have to fill out an Application for Individualized Tutoring Assistance (pdf). 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA . More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov /gibill.


For further assistance, please contact the ECSU Military and Veterans Affairs Center: 

Welcome Center-112
1704 Weeksville Road • Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Phone: (252) 335-3253
Fax: (252) 335-3541
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Email: veteran@ecsu.edu


North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans

US Department of Veterans Affairs 
VA Contact Information, For Students:
Atlanta/Southern RegionVA Regional Office
PO Box 100022
Atlanta, GA 30031-4032
FAX (404) 929-3009
Education Benefits (Student Line)1-888-442-4551
Monthly Verification of Enrollment & IVR (Interactive Voice Response System):   1-877-823-2378
Direct Deposit Enrollment (Students): 1-877-838-2778
VA Debt Management Center: 1-800-827-0648
Other VA Benefits (Local Regional Office): 1-800-827-1000

Military and Veterans Affairs Office

112 Welcome Center
Campus Box 914
1704 Weeksville Rd.
Elizabeth City, NC 27909