Designed to give the opportunity of a college education to students from families without a legacy of higher education.
The TRIO Educational Opportunity Center is the mentor you always wish you had. The primary goal of the Educational Opportunity Center program is to provide information and support to adults continuing their education.
Our mission is to increase the number of adults that enroll in higher education and assist you with any barriers that may be preventing you from starting.
An individual is eligible to participate in our program if the individual meets the following requirements:
- Is a resident of the following counties:
- Beaufort County
- Chowan County
- Hyde County
- Pasquotank County
- Perquimans County
- Tyrrell County
- Washington County
- Is a citizen or national of the United States, a permanent resident of the United States or is in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and provides evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of his or her intent to become a permanent resident.
- Have a desire to enroll in postsecondary education program
- Be a U.S. Citizen 19 years of age or older meet federal low-income guidelines
- ECSU TRIO EOC can serve residents younger than 18 who do not have access to any other TRIO programs.
- Priority is given to qualified applicants who are:
- First generation college students
- Veterans and active-duty service personnel
- Spouses/children or military personnel
- Help in completing applications for college admissions, testing, and financial aid
- Academic advice, mentoring, and assistance in postsecondary course selection
- College pre-admission counseling
- Financial and economic literacy services
- Specialized assistance for veterans, military affiliated members
- Assistance with preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities and student financial assistance
- Specialized assistance for homeless or foster youth
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students
- Career exploration assessments, workshops, and counseling
- Learning style assessment and seminars
- Group counseling and mentoring
Step 1: Review our Services and Eligibility
Step 2: Apply to TRIO EOC
The Educational Opportunity Center is a federally funded TRIO program sponsored by Elizabeth City State University to provide FREE secondary and postsecondary information and assistance to eligible adults in our targeted areas.
Click HERE to apply for TRIO EOC
Step 3: Schedule an Appointment
If you have already completed a TRIO EOC application, meet our eligibility requirements, and would like to connect with an expert TRIO EOC advisor, use the link below to schedule a one-on-one appointment. A TRIO EOC Advisor can assist with financial aid applications, scholarship applications, admission applications, NC Residency, career exploration, financial literacy, and more.
Documents to Bring at the First Appointment
- Last two years of Federal Income Tax Returns. Signed. (And spouses, if married).
- Birth certificate. Citizenship card. Alien Registration card (if you are not a U.S. Citizen). An I-94 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security showing immigrant status.
- If applicable:
- If renewing your FAFSA application, your FSA ID.
TRIO Educational Opportunity Campus
C.W. Griffin Hall
TRIO – EOC Suite 500
Monday - Friday:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM